Monday, March 1, 2010

Trips and Totes

So I haven't been very diligent about posting. My family and I went on a trip to the mountains of Gatlinburg, TN, and between gearing up for that and enjoying the Olympics, I didn't really have time for much else. Still working on my quilt. It's coming along nicely. I have three of nine blocks quilted and am about a third of the way through the next one. I had to stop working on it before the trip to make a couple of things for the trip.





The first thing I made was a tote bag that would be big enough to hold my quilt and hoop and all necessary items. I used some leftover canvas cloth I had to make a large bag with handles and a zippered pocket. I think it came out really well. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the handles, but I think that's something that would be easily fixable next time. 


I also made myself a new camera bag. I had been using my dad's camera bag, but he wanted it back, so I decided to make my own. I used a piece of thin styrofoam that came with our furniture and cut it up into squares. I then sewed fabric to form a pocket that each piece fit into. These pieces were then sewn together to make a square 'bag' and a top to match. I used some think cotton fabric to make straps that functioned as both closures and as support for the bag itself. I also used this material to create a shoulder strap to carry it with. Although the bag is not as totally stable as I would like, it is perfect for what I needed and I love the look of it.


Next post: Picture update of my quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment