Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First Attempt

My grandmother has always, for as long as I can remember, made hand-pieced and hand-quilted baby quilts for almost every baby that has been born to family and friends in our community. Each quilt has been a work or art. She tries to customize every blanket to the way the baby's room is decorated or the mother's favorite colors. Her quilts become family heirlooms for their recipients. I learned how to sew by watching her create the masterpieces. Because she has arthritis, she cannot make as many quilts now as she used to, so I would like to help her.

So, I have embarked upon a journey. I have begun to make my own quilt. I am trying to learn to create masterpieces like she does. I have changed one thing: I am machine-piecing my quilts. I will continue to hand-quilt them following her footsteps, but I wanted to be faster and more precise in my piecing. I hope that my quilts will become pieces of art that not only represent my talents but also the essence of a beautiful quilt that my grandmother taught me.

I may fail miserably, but at least I'm trying my best. I know my quilts will never be as good has hers, but maybe they'll be close. I will post pics later of how I'm doing so far.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment